Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Dirty Job

One task I had been dreading was removing some concrete from the inside of the pond.  See, what will be my pond used to be a flowerbed and its walls were built by first building a cement block wall and then attaching rock to the outside of the block.  Well, when they built the block wall they first poured a concrete footing.  When I dug out the inside of the pond I exposed that footing which created a lip of concrete around the inside wall which varied in width and thickness.  I had to remove that lip and doing so was not an easy task.  I found that the best way was to make vertical cuts, about 1" apart, with my circular saw and then use the air chisel to knock off the cut pieces.  It was dirty and hard work and took a total of 3 days to complete. If you refer back to some of my earlier entries, specifically the one where I cut the opening for the skimmer, you can see the lip I am talking about.  Below are a bunch of photos which capture the efforts for historical preservation.











After completing that I was able to shore up the rest of the dirt wall underneath with some good straight walls.  Well, not truly straight as there is a slight slope.  One neat thing is all the dust the saw kicked up dusted some nearby spider webs.



Lastly, a parting shot of the war zone.



No comments:

Post a Comment