Thursday, August 22, 2013

Run Some Pipe and Fill a Trench

This day's task was to actually get the pipes from the pond to the filter tank area.  First was running the pond's BD line.  It took a while to figure this out as I was trying to make it more difficult than it should be but that is what happens when you do something for the first time.  At this point the BD line already had the stand pipe in place.  I got a couple of elbows and a measured piece of pipe and would up with these results.







Next was to figure out the skimmer's pipes.  After figuring out where the skimmer would drain I drilled a hole and installed a 2" uniseal.


As part of my how-to-build-a-pond research I learned how difficult it can be to get a pipe through a uniseal.  Long before I did any digging I created a device which I thought would aid the process. It did not work for the 3" on the SC but did work fine for this 2" pipe.  So, not to distract from this entry, I will post a separate article on that device and how it worked so stay tuned for that.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch...I will have a UV light filtering the water as it leaves the skimmer so I built a contraption which will allow water to flow through or bypass the skimmer.  Here is that contraption without the UV connected.



The ball valve will open or close the bypass.  The 2 Ts will connect to a UV light and each will have a ball valve of its own.  Since my focus this day was to get the lines run I did not distract myself with any of the UV specific stuff - just what it took to get the pipes run.  So, let's run another pipe shall we?  










The digging of that trench was one of the first things I did so it was kinda weird when it came to fill it back in.






For months I have been stepping over that trench and never once fell in (to my great surprise).  Funny thing is that after it was filled in and I would walk around that area I would still find myself stepping over where it was.  I guess I trained myself well.

The last thing I did was make this little device for the inside part of the skimmer.  



I wanted to draw water from the bottom space and also wanted to avoid getting any floating material sucked into the line.  With the top part of the T above the water line I feel I met both of these goals.  Guess I will find out later if I was right or not.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment